Littlefinders! One of my favorite events of the year it’s right around the corner and I can’t wait! Nope is not the Superbowl or the return of my favorite telenovela (although that’s a good day too). I am talking about one of the most glamorous nights of the year. The Academy Awards! While I have not gotten my invitation in the mail yet (I’m still waiting for Clooney to invite me) that is no excuse for me not to have a fancy night!
I am already starting to plan my viewing party for this year, but in the meantime, I am giving you a behind the scenes at last year’s Soirée. Follow the steps below and you too can throw an awesome Oscar party that your friends will be talking about all year.
1. It’s all about the dress: Not because the party is at your home and not at the Kodak theater, it does not mean you are not allowed to get all dressed up. Every year I ask my guest to incorporate one fancy item of clothing in their outfit. This can include a tie, jewelry, a fancy dress or shoes. This year I opted to wear a DIY Tulle skirt, with my favorite “Mean Girls” t-shirt and some booties! Making my skirt was so much fun and a lot cheaper than buying it. If you want to make your own, check out these DIY tutorial by the beautiful Miss Kris.
2. Decorations: There was not a better feeling than seen my friends reactions when they walked into my home and saw all my decorations. First I choose the color palettes I wanted to stay in, in my case I stayed with gold, red and black. Next I headed to the dollar store and picked out every single movie related decoration they had. You can find some inexpensive things at target’s dollar spot and Walmart as well. I also looked around my home for any movie related props I could use. Finally, I hit Party City and used my 40% off coupon for movie themed plates, napkins, and balloons.
3. The food: Bucadibeppo.com was kind enough to provide food for my oscar party, the food was delicious and a hit with my guest. It’s all family style and the portions are huge. You can sign up online for special offers. Trust me it will save you so much work and all the food is pretty affordable. Just don’t lie to your guest and say you cooked it or should you? 😉
Food and photo provided by Buca di Beppo
4. Games: So let’s be honest, not all the people you invite are going to be super duper fans of the Academy Awards, some of them might not have even seen half of the movies that are nominated, however, a good way to make them engaged with watching the show is printing out the ballots with all the nominations. They might just be guessing, but a little competition is always fun. Make sure you have a price for the person who gets the most right answers. This can include an Oscar-themed basket, a free movie ticket or a DVD of one of the nominated movies. Also, have photo props, cool photos always make for a fun time.
5. Party Favors: So sure, we can’t afford the bags that the presenters get at the Academy Awards. These babies usually retail at around $100.000 yikes. However, you can still do something nice for your guest. I went to the dollar tree and picked up some red gift bags and gold tissue paper. Inside I put things my guest could use for a movie night. This included popcorn, movie candy, mixed drinks, chocolates and even some DVD’s. I made about twenty of these goodie bags and my friends still tell me how much they enjoyed creating their own movie night at home. If you are on a budget you can always create one movie-night basket and have a raffle. Regardless your guest will be thankful.
If you follow these tips, I guaranteed you will have an awesome Oscar Party and best of all a great time with all your friends. Share your photos with me using the hashtag #lailasOscarParty for a chance to win one of my 2016 Oscar Party goody bags.
Until next time LittleFinders!