My friend/sister Monica got married last month and it was my first time being a bridesmaid. I honestly didn’t know what to expect, and I know a lot of you my #Littlefinders might be in the same boat. I am here to give you all the info you need to make sure you, the bride and the rest of the maids have a hell of a good time, through the whole process. Sit back, relax and check out all the do’s and don’ts of being in a wedding party.
– Say Yes! – Chances are, you will get a special proposal to be part of the wedding party, and the bride probably has put a lot of time and thought into your surprise. You were chosen because you are special to that person, so accept the offer. If you have any special concerns you can talk to the bride about them on a different day.
-Start putting money aside: Being a bridesmaid does cost money. Hopefully, you will be lucky like me and your friend didn’t pick an over the top expensive dress or hair/makeup vendors. But you will have to spend money on the dress, hair or makeup, bachelorette party, shoes and other expenses. I started saving a year in advance by putting a little bit of money aside each month, so It didn’t feel like a huge expense all at once.
– Create a chat with the other bridesmaids: Most likely the Maid of Honor will take care of this, but make sure you participate. ANSWER HER IF SHE ASKS QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS. Start bonding with the other ladies. This will make your experience so much more fun for all the events that will follow.
– Communicate with the Maid of Honor: I will be honest, I am super scattered brain and forget everything. Chances are the bride is under a lot of stress, so don’t go to her for all the small details ( I might have made this mistake a few times :O) but rather rely on the Maid of Honor or other bridesmaids for questions.
– Are you are tight on money and don’t know what to do?: This is the time to talk to the bride. But do it in advance, you might not be able to attend the bachelorette party, or pay to get your hair done. Maybe you can’t afford to be in the wedding at all. Life happens, your friend choose you because she loves you, most of the time something can be figured out, and some of the other bridesmaids might even be willing to help as well. The key here is SPEAK UP IN ADVANCE.
-It is not about you: Let’s be honest, you might hate the dress, the hair or the makeup. I was lucky enough that I loved everything, but at the end of the day if you love your friend you will wear a plastic bag for her wedding. Be flexible and open-minded on all the decisions Hopefully one day it will be your turn, and your bridesmaids will do whatever it takes to make you happy 🙂 (27 dresses anyone?)
– Have fun and enjoy the experience: Trust me the day of the wedding none of the tiny details will matter. My heart was so full seen the bride, the groom, and all the details come together that I could care less what I was wearing, or what my hair looked like. I was lucky to have a great group of bridesmaids too! But really, don’t sweat the small stuff and have a blast!
Have you been a bridesmaid before? Any advice? I would love to hear your thoughts!
Until Next Time Littlefinders!